Monday, June 15, 2009

Goldman's Law

Most people are familiar with Godwin's Law, which states that "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

Over the past few months, though, I've seen the emergence of a much more pleasant phenomenon, which I've taken the liberty of naming Goldman's Law*, after William Goldman, the author and screenwriter of The Princess Bride:

As a blog discussion grows longer, the probability of someone quoting The Princess Bride approaches 1.


* I have no connection to William Goldman, aside from being a fan of his work, and this naming has not been endorsed by him.**

** Although John Scalzi's Law of Internet Invocation suggests that Mr. Goldman will show up and let me know whether he's OK with it.***

*** And now that I've referred to Scalzi, he'll probably show up too.

So, I've created this humble little blog to document instances of Goldman's Law. Because let's be honest: The Princess Bride is a heck of a lot more fun than Hitler.

No comments:

Post a Comment